Sunday, July 24, 2011

Count Your Small Blessings

Many people look at big things to make them happy: big party, a new car, a new home, a new marriage, etc. It is important to our overall well-being to take in the little things. The things many people take for granted or no longer even notice. Simple things being able to hear the birds chirping
                                            


or smelling the roses

         
                                                

Today, I reflected on a few things this weekend that made me smile.

1. Spending some quality time with my boys. Baby Bandit and I are watching some game shows right now. We have some of the same tv habits. We watched most of our crime shows over the weekend already. We will probably catch a movie on Netflix later today. It is too hot to run around. We are staying in and enjoying floats, ice cones, and any other cool treats we can find.
        

2.  Earlier today, he took the initiative to send off for more information on a few colleges that sent him emails this week. This might not seem much to do to many. However, I have been working on him about procrastination and planning ahead. For him to take the initiative is huge. On the same note, he started a conversation about using this week to get back on the school time routine. School starts a week from tomorrow. Therefore, no sleeping in late or sleeping the entire afternoon away. I made some suggestions to get him through the times his body will want to sleep. Baby steps! We are getting there.
    

3. Rae Rae and I spent Friday night just hanging out and catching up. We had us some homemade polish boys, watched tv, and talk. I was able to listen to what was really on her heart. We have the type of relationships where we do not have to wear masks. We are able to truly be ourselves. I learned from another one of our friends, Original Oldgirl LadyLee,  to just listen and ask questions to help the other person to reach their own answers. We are planning a girls weekend soon!

Its the small things that count. When you can appreciate the little things, God will bless you with bigger things.

I challenge you today to count your small blessings or those little things that put a smile on your face. 

3 comments:

  1. I love this and now I'm going to go do the same thing on my blog.
    Serenity23

    ReplyDelete
  2. can u please make sure I don't miss the next party! STILL hot that I messed up the dates. Work with me. You know I am slow!!! LAWD!

    Asking questions is key. Out of the heart the mouth speaks. That's the only way to find out what is in a person's heart of hearts. And I always get a little residual healing behind that for myself in the process. And that's a good thing!

    Loved this post, mama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Green Eyed BanditJuly 27, 2011 at 7:10 AM

    @Serenity, I read how it took off on your blog. Love it!!!

    @Lee, I had another person ask me when I am rescheduling the sleepover. I think it is going to be a "Hey, what are you doing tomorrow type thing." I will let you and Rae Rae know

    ReplyDelete