Sixteen year olds know everything! They also think their parents and most other adults know absolutely nothing! Then they grow up and realize they nothing about nothing LOL!
Today's prompt was to give 5 pieces of advice to your 16 year old self. The people in the group shared some great advice. There were several people giving the same advice. As I was reading each person's advice, I was just looking at the computer screen nodding in agreement.
Here is my advice to my 16 year old self: 1. You are on the right track. All of your hard work will payoff. You are an example for so many and you don't even know it. 2. Don't let others talk you out of your dream since you were 6. 20 years later you still came back to it! 3. Your momma was not playing about not paying for school. Start looking for programs and scholarships now.4. Learn to take risks. Playing it safe and conservative makes you miss out on so much. 5. Keep doing what you are doing. You are going to turn into a wonderful woman with so much to offer your family, friends, and community.
Here's the advice of the other participants. I made sure not to include any incriminating names to protect their privacy.
1. The world does not revolve around ... ... ...! LOL (yes they (meaning several) wrote the full government name!)2. You do not know everything!3. Everyone is not your friend! Keep your group of 3 tight knit friends and label every one else as an associate. Keep it moving!4. Wait to get a job until you have to! You'll work every day for the rest of your life. Don't be so quick to start early!5. You are beautiful!
1. You really think you are special don't you, well you are! 2. Follow your intuition, it will save your life. 3. Your connection to spirit is real. 4. Control your thoughts and your words, they dictate your life. Remember you are the first voice you hear.5. Everything you need to be happy and successful you already have it inside, get in tune with your spirit and listen.
1. Be confident in who you are no matter what2. People will always have something to say, but, follow the path just for you3.Pray...Pray....Pray...Pray.....Pray4. Don't just sign up for the talent show but ummm complete the performance5. Take Risk because you only live once.
1.You're still a child you can't be strong for everyone, it's ok to cry.2.Whatever it is you want to do, do it. Can't live other peoples dreams they have for you but was really meant for them.3. Realize that everyone is not your friend4. Keep writing.5. Your mom was right! (well..mostly…)6. You’re worth it!
1. Never give up on your dreams! 2.Love your body because God made you! 3. Don't worry if boys will like you or not....they will! 4. It's ok to be different! 5. Understand that your parents do want the best for you!
1) DO NOT QUIT THE BASKETBALL TEAM... YOU CAN GET A FULL SCHOLARSHIP TO SOMEBODY'S COLLEGE!2) HE WILL NOT END UP AS YOUR HUSBAND!3) TAKE ALLLLLL THE AP CLASSES!4) YOU ARE THE PERFECT HEIGHT AND SIZE! 5) YOU WANT TO BE A PSYCHOLOGIST WHEN YOU GROW UP!
1. To Thine Ownself Be TRUE! 2. Chose wisely. 3. Take Calculated Risks 4. Pursue your dreams relentlessly 5. HAVE FUN!
1. Hold your head up & smile. The things boys tease you about today are the things men will love about you when you become a woman.2. Live your life for you. You're going to make mistakes, but it's ok. You've got to find out what makes you YOU!!! 3. You're going to kiss A LOT of frogs. But just because your Prince doesn't come tomorrow, it doesn't mean something's wrong with you.4. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES sign up for a credit card when you get to college, just to get a free shirt & cup holder 5. I'm proud of you!!!!
1. Don't believe the lies the boys are tellling you (they have a different motive than yourself) 2. Listen to your parents (yes they want whats best for you) 3. Learn how to drive (I know you don't see a need since your parents take you everywhere) 4. It's ok to be a virgin (you have many many years to have sex) 5. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE start preparing now to pay the tuition at an HBCU school (maybe you would not be in debt with student loans now).
1. Never give up on your dreams, you can be everything you want to 2. Use your gifts every chance you get 3. You're beautiful. The way God made you 4. It's ok to not be in the in crowd 5. Love yourself first.
1. Enjoy the little things; enjoy the walks on the beach, dancing and singing to music in your room, going to 50 grocery stores with your family, everyday dinners with your family, and enjoy having fun with your friends. It won't always be this way! 2. Take the dance class at school! Don't worry about how you look in spandex or what other people think of you. 3. The boy that you "think you're in love with", you're NOT! He isn't the one...plenty of time for boys later. Once you get to college, plenty of those boys aren't the ones either. Don't waste your time and keep it moving! 4. Ask for HELP! If you don't understand something (ex. Math), it's okay. It's better to ask for help, than to not do well in school! 5. Enjoy driving now because once you're older, it's not as much fun! Oh, don't let other people drive your vehicle! Not a good idea!
1. Pay more attention in Math class! 2. Enjoy being skinny, dark skinned, having big teeth(wish I had learned confidence earlier) 3. All the church services, bible study, and praying will keep you level headed in abt 3 years! 4. You CAN be a writer 5. Family is all you have (no matter how aggravating they may seem) 6. There's always another guy who's better
1.You are beautiful just the way you are! 2. Your tenacity will make you stronger than you will ever realize. 3. Boys can wait, they ain't talking about NUTHING!!! 4. It's okay to cry if you want, ask for help if you needed, dance and sing a song if you feel good, join a club, tryout for cheerleading, ANYTHING YOU WANT TO DO....because YOLO!!!! I love you
1. Now that you are in America, the classes are much easier....take all AP classes, stop being a punk, you like a challenge, and you will be able to skip freshman year of college...which you end up hating anyway. 2. *** is dead serious when he asks you to prom...don't laugh in his face, you actually like him. 3. Your boyfriend is 20 and lives with his mother and even though he looks D-Nice...there is something wrong with that arrangement even though he proposes. 4. Go to UGA and STAY there as a Pre-Pharmacy major, take Spanish during the summer. Pharmacists make bank and you have a scientific mind. 5. You are gorgeous. Just because you are thicker than the toothpicks around you, you are destined to be a coke bottle...start working out though on a regular basis.
1. Your life does not end with your parents divorce; 2. You can do anything you want; 3. Do NOT take Ms. Scarborough's preCal class; 4. Yes you can dance to Mya's "it's all about ME" if you want; 5. Trust in God regardless of who calls Him what
1. Stay in school, don't disrespect your parents. 2. Don't have sex until marriage. 3. Get a job learn to be responsible. 4. Don't rush growing up. 5. Get good grades and start preparing for college,
1. You are hella cute 2. Sex before marriage is overrated 3. You'll make a good mommie 4. Thin works for you well much later! ..so quit trying to plump up!
1. Don't be in a rush to grow up 2. Finish college 3. Spend as much time with family as possible because u never know how log anyone has on earth 4. Don't get any credit cards 5. Keep your car until the wheels fall off! 6. Everyone who says they are your friend is not your friend some people take joy in seeing you fail!
1. Looking back over these 30 years. Enjoy and stay 16 as long as you can. Living and be on this journey is no joke! 2. Daddy was right you cannot buck the system. Someone has to be in charge and until it is your calling, sit and learn. Thank Dad and Mom for making Jesus a priority in your life. 3. You will get over that one and the other one and another one, that had you so heartbroken you could not leave your room for days. Lawd Ham Mercy.Singing those sad love songs, listening to your cassettes (yes I said it) over and over, that was just the heart of the matter! 4. On a musical note, Ralph, Bobby, Ronnie, Ricky,and Mike (add Johnny) are still a New Edition. 5. All those shoe boxes full of white lined pages with your writings have come to birth. "Never give up on a dream, wake up and make it your reality." Little girl you will grow up and become an amazing Woman!
I did a 20 Facts about Me in 2011. I did this one without looking at the it. I wanted to see if I selected different facts. Most of them are different. So you have almost 40 facts about me!
1. I am the oldest of 5 (4 girls and 1 boy)
2. I hold 3 licenses that can earn me an income (insurance, real estate, and teacher)3. I played basketball as a teenager4. I took dance classes for 10 years and taught for 7 years but can't dance regularly to save my life. 5. I am a procrastinator 6. I started a blog a few years ago but I do not write with any consistency. 7. I have 6 vision boards. One for teaching, becoming organized, becoming debt free, relationships, spirituality, physical (weight/hair/attire) 8. I many extra children. They are children from a blended family but from the extras children I have gained from teaching 9. I want to lose weight but I don't want to do the work. (I know I know) 10. I am a proud member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. 11. I have never been married 12. I know my trips for the next 3 summers. 13. I love reading especially self-help books. 14. I am a proud member of Triple F Posse. It is my finance group. We meet monthly to discuss our finances and encourage each other. 15. I am a mother of a new college student. Can you say I need to figure out how to get a life? 16. I am in love with my Tivo. It is the best invention ever. 17. I am allergic to strawberries but I eat them anyway. 18. I am figuring out what I want to be when I grow up! 19. I am the oldest granddaughter on my maternal side. 20. I am more committed to anything if others are depending on me.
One of my beloved line sisters loves loves loves to come up with new ideas or activities for others as well as herself. So I received the following message, "Hey Tiffany Dillard! I just had this WONDERFUL idea!!! How bout you create a Writing Challenge for US???!!! 30 Days, 25 Days, 10 Days... whateva! Just establish the # of days, start/stop deadlines, topics, and how we'll share/ discuss/ comment. Sounds good, huh? Ready when you are!"
Now you have to know Darcova. She can motivate you to do ANYTHING! So instead of continuing to prepare for bed, I spent the next hour finding the right writing challenge/blog. So for the next 10 days, I will post in the group we are working with but I will also blog that particular entry.