Saturday, November 5, 2011

Vision Boards, Mission Statements, To Do Lists

This post was started in July with just a title and I never went back to finish it. I never deleted it. I just let it sit there. I guess somehow I knew I would come back to it. Over the last week or so I have been thinking about what's the next move. What do I want to accomplish in the next year. What happen to my vision board? What is my mission statement? Do I even have one? Do I need to create to-do lists?

I never have created a mission statement. It seemed so corporate. However, I started changing my mind on it when I saw one from LadyLee. She had the amazing mission statement. It touched every aspect of her life. One can tell she took time with creating, revising, and searching within herself what her mission statement means to her. I wish I could get my hands on it so you would know what I am talking about. It is a great way to strive for what she wants and continue to being who she is.

Woo Hoo...I found it. Here is her statement

I am 100% healthy in my body, soul, and spirit. I acknowledge God in all my ways, and I seek Him before I make any decisions, big or small. I am a blessing to my family and to those that God sends across my path. I am an incredible asset to my friends. I am a good listener. I am an excellent employee, and I not only work hard, but I work smart. I take time to periodically evaluate myself, and I make changes accordingly. I stick and hold fast to the path God has charted out for my life. I accept and openly welcome constructive criticism, as I know it will help me become "a better me". I am a good steward, a fine manager over the finances He has blessed me with, to the point that God knows He can trust me.

Now that is a personal mission statement! Then she proceeded to write extensively about each sentence and what it means to her. It is actually on her vision board.

Last year, I was so busy worried about others doing their vision board that I never took the time to create a new one for me. I had my senior class last year create one and they had to use math to explain how they can reach their goals/vision. For instance, if they are going to college, how much does that cost. Will you live on campus/at home/own place? Are you planning to get married or have children? Transportation? Jobs? Clothes? Food? It was interesting to see what they thought and how they were clueless about the real world. I  know some of them are getting a reality check. In addition, I helped one of my friends/sorors with her Girl Scouts troop create vision boards. The girls had some great boards!

I will need to start gathering my thoughts to create mine. I want it completed by Christmas. No...it will be created by Christmas.

To-lists: I see the importance of them. However, like everything else. It must be done in moderation. One my line sisters have 3 ongoing lists. She has her daily list, weekly list, and annual list. I use to tease her in college because her list was sooooo detail. She would actually write down "get gas". I said you can't just look at your needle and KNOW you need gas. I asked her about it a few weeks ago. Many years later, she is still writing her lists.

I need to start a list to assist with being accountable. With me running with students all day, I notice I have alot of things slip through the crack. I know it can not be a massive list or I will get overwhelmed. I plan to have a simple list of about 10 things. I will add only after I have taken something off. I think it will definitely help me be organized.

Do you plan for small and big goals? How do you get things accomplished?

2 comments:

  1. I plan for ALL goal and I LIVE by a list. I honestly don't know if I could function without one. My daughters put their info that I needed to remember on my Ipad earlier so I won't forget next week lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need a list to remind me that, I have a list...LOL
    Lee's statement is POW.ER.FUL! I seriously have to get one of those going for my life. Lately, I've been just been spinning in circles but, it's time for that to end. I think this weekend, I'll sit down and create a list of give me some clarity.

    ReplyDelete