Saturday, February 21, 2015

Day 3: Feelings of Unworthiness

No you did not miss Day 1 or Day 2. I never picked up the laptop to write. I started to get all overwhelmed because now I have 3 days to write about. Then, I just stop. Nobody told me I had to write about every day. Nobody said I had to go in order. I can write about those days on a Sunday when there is not a post. I can NOT write about it at all!!! I did read and thought about it. That is the purpose of this time of year.....reflection and spending time with Him.

Today is about giving up feelings of unworthiness. I think we all suffer from it from time to time. I am grateful that I don't suffer from it often or overall. Reading the questions to ponder, I know at this moment, I am not suffering from feeling unworthy. Now, don't get me wrong. There are things I can improve, but I am still worthy!

One of today's plan of action is for parents. It says "if you are a parent, make sure to tell your child how proud you are of them. Assure them that you love them for no other reason than the fact that they are your child. Assure them that no matter what mistakes they may make, you will always love them. This is how your Heavenly Father loves you."

This is the one spoke to me more than the other two. I thought about my interactions with my son and if I assured him that I love him no matter what. I do believe I have shown him that over the years, but I do plan to check in with him and ask. I am going to take it one step further and ask him is there any other ways I can show my unconditional love to and for him.

Each child is different and feels love in their own ways. It took me a few years to realize the words I use have a huge impact on his self image, confidence, and  worthiness. I figured it out by his actions when I really attacked him verbally versus expressing my feelings. He confirmed it one day when we had a conversation about love languages. (That is a totally different post.) That conversation reiterated a couple of things: there is power in the tongue and one of his languages is words of affirmation.

This series is really giving me a chance to examine past experiences and learn the lessons from it. I encourage you to check out the series and if you are willing, examine areas of your life. Today's post is a reflection from 40 Things to Give up for Lent.
  


No comments:

Post a Comment