Sunday, August 21, 2011

Last Weekend - New Experiences - Quinceanera

A uneventful weekend. Just what I needed. Baby Bandit only had 2 events this weekend - Friday night football and a community service project on Saturday afternoon.

Last weekend, we were literally out late every night. He participated in a friend's quinceanera. (Click on the word for an explanation of what a quince entails.) The short explanation is a rites of passage for 15 year old Latina girls. It includes a mass service and a reception. It is similar to a bar mitzvah in the Jewish community. I was honored she asked BB to participate. Because I know the significance of this event, it lets me know her friendship with him is valuable to her. Also, he was able to experience something I would never be able to give him. We are not Hispanic; therefore, we will never have a quince in our family.

A traditional quinceanera takes alot of planning. The planning is similar to a wedding. There is a ceremony and them a reception that are very similar to a wedding. BB had to pick up his tux and rush to rehearsal right after school on Friday night. He did not make it home until after midnight. Like a wedding, the party had to be in place about an hour before the ceremony. The mass was beautiful even though we (my son and I) could not understand a word. The entire service was in Spanish. Later, I realized some of her family members do not speak English. At the reception, whenever someone spoke they said it in both Spanish and English. The reception lasted until 10PM. I left BB at the reception after being there for a couple of hours.

  I was hoping I had many pictures to share but here is one of the birthday girl and one of Baby Bandit.


It was definitely an experience he will never forget. Both Dee and her parents were very appreciative he was willing to come to all the dance rehearsals, help with setups, and just being a part in their special day. I am just glad he is building quality relationships with quality people.



2 comments:

  1. Good for you. Great for Cedric!! You are Bless and Highly Favoured.... Auntie

    ReplyDelete