Sunday, March 24, 2013

Purpose Driven Life - Day 1 It Is Not About Me


Disclaimer: Most of the posts for Purpose Driven Life are my notes from the book and some reflections. 



Earlier in February, on of my college friends , Dr. Educator, posted on Facebook she was planning to purchase "Purpose Driven Life". I felt like that was my nudge from God to pick the book up again and actually walk it out this time. I suggested to her to invite others and have a daily group discussion on Facebook. We had 15 people sign up with about 4-6 people posting. 

What I really like about the book is the set up and the supporting materials. There are a few pages to read with a point to ponder, a verse to remember, and a question to consider. In addition, we post our reflections. There is a website purposedriven.com which provides daily notes and a sermon to go with the reading. 

This has been a great start for in 2013 to get my spiritual walk in order. Since I share more freely on my blog than on FB, I plan to share MY postings from the closed group.

Discussion - Day 1

POINT TO PONDER:
It’s not about me.

VERSE TO REMEMBER:
“Everything got started in him and finds its purpose in him.”
COLOSSIANS 1:16B (MSG)

QUESTION TO CONSIDER:
In spite of all the advertising around me, how can I remind myself that life is really about living for God, not myself?

Let's discuss!

If you want to hear a message, please check out http://www.purposedriven.com/day1/


Here is what I posted for Day 1:

My take-a-ways:
- It is not about me. Now that is definitely an eye catching and thought provoking statement. It is about me fulfilling God's purpose IN and FOR my life.

- I do not decide my purpose. I have to seek my inventor, God, for that answer.

- I am not my creator, the Creator. Therefore, I can't determine my purpose.

- All the self-help books I have read over the years will not reveal my purpose. It may make me successful and content, but not serve my purpose.

- I need to quit speculating about my purpose and seek God through prayer and His Word to find out my purpose. He will reveal it to me.

- I am ready to learn how to do less in life by focusing on what matters the most.

Reflections: Reading today's chapter brought a few things to the forefront of my mind. For instance, God has to be the starting point and the source of everything. Another point is I (we) was (were) created by God for a specific purpose. It is our job to allow God to reveal it to us and walk in it. Like everyone in this group, I am many things to many people. However, we are here on an assignment/purpose from God.

Confessions: In the past, I had mixed emotions when I heard someone say I know my purpose or I am walking in my purpose. I was glad they did but at the same time bothered because I did not know and still don't know my purpose. I would wonder if they said it to sound holy or if they really knew their purpose.

I know in order to know my purpose, I have to really KNOW God not know OF Him. I have been ashamed to ask how do you get to know Him and build a true relationship with Him.

Question to Consider:
In spite of all the advertising around me, how can I remind myself that life is really about living for God, not myself?

I believe asking God to guide our hearts and minds to make decisions based on His desires and not our own. I have encountered people who seek God for the smallest of decisions. Because it is a lifestyle for them, you don't "see" them running to the prayer closet or saying let me seek God. It is just a part of them.




No comments:

Post a Comment