Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Reaction and Reflection

The last post was my first one in ages. Initially, I did not intend to write about my mammogram experience. Since I was doing my year in review, it was impossible for me not to write about it. It was the major thing going on in my life that month other than supporting my loved ones who were dealing with death. I really didn't know what to expect from other people. 

Within the first hour, I received messages from two friends. One of them is literally going through it right now. She got her results yesterday afternoon. It felt good to be able to encourage her and share information I received. At that moment, I thought about my Delta niece who has beat osteosarcoma. One of the many profound things she said "This cancer is not about me. God is allowing this to happen to me for someone else." That is how I felt (minus actually having cancer). God allowed me to have that experience to be able to help someone else. 

With me revealing a year later to the world, I heard "I can't believe you didn't tell me!" and "I didn't know you went through that!" I know and I am perfectly fine with it. Like I said in the previous post, I didn't want to worry anyone unless I had to do it. One of my mottos is pray for the best, but prepare for the worst. And that was what I did with this situation. I told key people I knew without a shadow of a doubt that God would see me through regardless of the results. I needed people to stand and agree with me that this was something I would be able to share with others. My Bible Study group checked on me during that time as well as my sorors and mom. I was well covered. And for that I can not express in words my gratitude. 


Looking back to January 2014, I realize it was seeds being planted and other seeds being watered. I was reminded of my compassionate circle that includes my boss/soror/friend, other sorors, my family, church family, and other close friends. I am a firm believer we are responsible for our environment. I made a conscious decision years ago to surround myself with positive, compassionate, empathic people. People with a servant's heart. And for that I am grateful as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment